My friend and I had been following Tasty for a while. The videos that they made for each recipe seem so simple that anyone can do it. Therefore, we decided that it is time to try it out! We chose 3 recipes that intrigued us the most, and this Chocolate Almond Braid was one of it, however, with a twist. 😉
The original recipe uses puff pastry, but oddly, we couldn’t find ANY frozen puff pastry in the the supermarkets near us. We used phyllo instead, a healthier option too. If you’ve never had it before, I strongly recommend you to go to a Greek restaurant, and try it! It’s so flaky ad crispy, while it contains very little fat compare to regular puff pastry.
Since the phyllo sheets do not have much fat, the sheets are normally brushed with melted butter or oil in between each sheet. However, we totally omitted the buttering step, and it still turned out well.
Since phyllo dough contains very little fat, it can be a pain in the ass if you are working with it for the first time. It is necessary to cover the sheets with a damp towel to prevent it from drying out. However, it is fine if the sheets rip, because you can simply put it back together, and brush the butter over. It’ll still be fine!
For the chocolate, we were so exciting to find an earl grey-flavored dark chocolate (72%) tablet! Therefore, without hesitations, we brought it home. We couldn’t choose which nuts to use, so we got a bag of mixed nuts, which also has some dried cranberries in there too.
The results definitely came out a lot better than we expected! We made a mess while making it, because the phyllo sheets were fragile, and it kept falling apart.
I’m glad that we didn’t get discouraged while working with the phyllo dough, because it turned out a lot better than we expected. It smelled so good. The phyllo becomes golden and crispy.
The chocolate inside melted, and becomes gooey-ooey. My friend and I couldn’t stop laughing, because we were just too happy and excited with the results. It’s crisp outside, crunchy from the nuts, and gooey inside. Perfect!
- 1 Chocolate Tablet
- 8 Phyllo sheets
- 1 Egg
- A handful of nuts
- Preheat the oven to 415°F/213°C
- Defrost the phyllo pastry according to the instruction on the package
- Lay out the phyllo sheets on the working table
- Place the chocolate tablet in the center
- Carefully cut the lines diagonally along the left and right side of the chocolate bar (~an inch apart)
- Remove the corner pieces of both sides
- Sprinkle some crush nuts before start folding (if you desire)
- Start from the top, fold down the flap
- Alternate right and left all the way to the end
- Fold the bottom flap up to seal
- Place the braided pastry on a piece of parchment paper on baking tray
- Brush with egg wash
- Sprinkle crushed nuts on top of the pastry
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown
- Bon appétit!